Cooking Time: 15-20 min
1st Style, without tomato paste:
- 1 lbs Mexican squash (chopped in 1"cubes)
- 1 medium onion (chopped in 1/18" cubes)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, half for cooking, the other half for after
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp red pepper paste (optional)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup fresh dill or mint, chopped
- Saute the onion with olive oil and salt for a few minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Cut off both ends of the squashes. Peel and cut in four pieces lengthwise. Then cut horizontally in pieces 2 inches tall. Throw them in the pot, add sugar.. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Place on a serving dish. Pour the rest of olive oil on top and sprinkle chopped dill. Serve the dish at room temperature or chilled.
2nd Style, with tomato paste, just add and saute tomato paste and red pepper paste with onion and garlic, the rest is the same.