Cooking Time: 20 min
- 2 large (and slim, if possible) eggplants/aubergines
- 1 large onion, halved and finely sliced
- 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried mint
- Salt and black ground pepper to taste
- Olive oil (or canola oil) for light frying
- Extra wedges of lemon to serve
- Peel the eggplants/ aubergines length ways in zebra stripes, then cut the eggplants / aubergines in half length ways.
- Cut a split length ways without cutting through to the skin on the opposite side and leaving 1/2″-13 mm- uncut at either end.
- Heat about 1cm/1/2in light olive oil or canola oil in a deep sided pan. Place the eggplants in the oil and shallow fry quickly on both sides until they are softened and have a light brown color, for about 3-5 minutes. Place paper towel on a tray and transfer these eggplants there; the paper towel will absorb the excess olive oil.